Tuesday, March 3, 2009

six months

It's a quiet evening in Taipei after several whirling weeks of work and activity. I just came home from a hot pot dinner at the restaurant down the street and took a nice long shower. There is a soft drizzle against my bedroom window- a sure sign of Taiwan's early spring- though I'm still snuggled in my pink comforter as if my body is still bracing itself for New York winters. An occasional bark escapes the wandering street dogs, and the quiet hum of my dehumidifier keeps me company, steadfastly preventing mold from growing in unexpected places. I realize that the sounds and sights of my new home are slowly growing on me. The language is no longer awkward nonsense coming from my mouth. I recognize my neighbors. I know what to say when I meet them. And I know how to order drinks: grapefruit green tea, half sugar, no ice, no bag, thank you.

The feeling of 'home' however, didn't come until this past sunday at Oasis, a bilingual church in Tien Mu. Its been hard spiritually these past six months, wandering from church to church and never making any real connections with people outside of work and family. But thanks to all of you that were praying for me during this transition, it was during sunday worship that I really felt a sense of belonging. It was the similar feeling of recognition I had when I stepped into Newlife Fellowship back at home-I can be myself, I can worship freely, I am among family, I am safe.

My heart is a bit heavy tonight. After hearing some sad news from some close friends within these last few weeks, I am remembering how hard it is to struggle with the kind of sadness that stays with you, the kind that makes feel like you're about to unravel and fall to pieces. We do what we can, at those moments, and even if those others around us can't really help us, we offer the little that we have. One friend asked me just to allow him to be sad. It was hard trying to hold back all the words of encouragement that I wanted to share with him, though I suppose deep down i knew nothing I could say would really make any difference. But I told him my heart was sad with him. He is loved. I will be praying.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Ps 27:14

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good writing. thanks

March 4, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winnie, this is beautiful and it really makes me "home"sick for Kenya. I'm so happy for you to have this experience. Keep writing and thanks you for sharing these thoughts!
Miss you,
Ruth

March 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger LHC said...

I'm so glad you found a home at Oasis. And I meant it when I said I want to go there w/ you sometime!

March 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home