Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A seasonal post

Isnt it interesting how seasons just... happen? Winter, spring, summer, fall; they're very much beyond our control. And if you're anything like me, life can get so busy that you have moments where you walk to work and suddenly you realize' Hey, its ______ (fill in the blank with a season)!'

In Taiwan, the summer heat is a force to be reckoned with. You find yourself making pit stops at every 7-11 just to get a few moments of air conditioning and a cool drink before you head to your real destination. You wake up a few times a night because you're just too hot and sweaty to stay asleep. Umbrellas are everywhere, you carry sunblock with you at all times, and let's not forget the multitude of sweaty teenage boys without deodorant. Joy.

A recent devotional talked about how the rhythms of seasons teach us about our spiritual lives and the ways of God. Parker Palmer writes, "Autumn is a season of great beauty, but its also a season of decline as summer's abundance decays toward winter's death. In my own experience of autumn, I am rarely aware that seeds are being planted. I am easily fixated on surface appearances... yet if i look more deeply, I may see the myriad possibilities being planted to bear fruit in some seasons yet to come."

As I'm winding down to the end of my first year in Taiwan, I'm sensing these changes in season. My body is mostly adjusting to taiwan's summer (I'm hoping to lose the few pounds that I gained from eating out so much!) But lately my spirit has been more like autumn in New York- windy, a bit messy, some rays of sun in the midst of growing shadows, an undeniable chill that hangs in the air. I am learning not to fight the 'deaths' that God brings into my life, and I am learning to hope in the seeds that God is working on beneathe the surface. There is a time for everything, as beautiful and messy as it may be sometimes, and it comes down to trusting God's timing for every season. Summer will not last forever, neither will autumn. God is not finished with me yet.

I'm also remembering Jeff Littleton this week, one of the YWAM leaders that I met briefly in Penang during my DTS. As I received news about his recent passing, I couldnt help but feel a deep sense of loss. Its strange if you think about it- I've only met the man once, spent probably less than an hour with him, but during those few moments when he prayed over me, it seemed like he had a back stage pass to God's heart and he showed me what God REALLY thinks of me and who I was destined to become. Undeniably real, warm, trustworthy and just full of mature, secure, love- I dont think I've ever met a man that embodied our Father's heart so closely. This fuzzy-haired little old man KNEW God, and whenever you meet people like that all your defenses and false pretenses fall to the ground because you know they can see through all your junk but still love you anyways. Thank you Jeff, your words continue to give life and hope to so many around the world. We will all miss you, but in the mean time, enjoy and rest with our heavenly Father above- you're finally home!
To read more about Jeff, check out his memorial page.

FYI: I'll be going home in Mid September, YAYYYY!!! Cant wait to pig out and see all you crazy new yorkers. Miss you all lots. SEE YOU SOON!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home