Sunday, May 9, 2010

finding oasis

Hey there. Yea, I know, it's been a while since the last post. I'm not sure if anyone is reading this, but lately I've been too inspired NOT to write an entry. :)

But before I share what's been on my mind, some housekeeping updates: I will be starting a photoblog soon dedicated to my photography. I'm trying to get more serious with the camera, so hopefully you guys will enjoy some eye candy to go along with my ramblings real soon. If you want a sneak peek of what Ive been working on, check out my galleries here.

Ok, back to the real important stuff. :)

This post is dedicated to my church, Oasis Bread of Life in Tian Mu. Some of you may know that one of the hardest thing for me when I came to Taiwan was leaving my church back in NYC, New Life Fellowship Church in Queens. Lately I've also come to really appreciate my church family here in Taiwan and I'm just incredibly blessed to be a part of both communities.

A few weeks ago, I met a really cute kid at church named Super. (Yes, that's his name!) I wish I had a picture to show you guys, but seriously, he's is SUPER CUTE! He's almost two, and his mom was getting baptized at our church that day. Before the 'dunking', Pastor Jeff shared Super's story with us. It turns out that Super's dad died about a year ago leaving his mom alone to take care of him. The family's never been to church before, but strangely, a few months prior, Super's dad appeared in his mom's dream and asked her to take Super to church. Not sure what to make of the dream, she dismissed it and continued the best she could. But apparently his dad wasn't quite satisfied with that, and he appeared in her dream again. Long story short, she found her way to our church and decided to get baptized.

One of the most moving moments of the service was when all the men in my church gathered around Super and his mom. With hands outstretched and hearts open, these brothers prayed blessing and life over Super and and his mom. They prayed that the men that surrounded him that day would become father figures in his life and that he would never feel a shortage of the Father's love. They prayed that Super's mom would come to know the unending providence and faithfulness of God. They prayed that the church family would become their family. There wasn't a dry eye in the room.

Fast forward to today, Mother's day. Brian asked me a few weeks ago to help with worship for the hospital ministry. Along with Pastor Jeff and a few others, his team had been going to the veteran's hospital for the last few months to pray for patients and offer counsel. It was my first time joining them, and boy am I glad I went. We held a small sunday service for any patients that wanted to drop by and P.Jeff even preached in mandarin! (Preach it, P.Jeff!)

There was a moment during the service when I surveyed the room to take it all in. Patients in worn hospital scrubs clinging to their IV line, young and old in wheel chairs next to nurses and tired-looking family members. A few hospital volunteers, looking just a little lost, next to some pastors murmuring 'Hallelujah' with every point in the sermon. At that moment I couldn't help but think about how this is a true reflection of what the Church really is - a bunch of sick and screwed up people in need of a miracle. P. Hawko of my college church said it best when he said that the church is God's teaching hospital- we are all in need of healing. P.Jeff ended his sermon with this nugget- Jesus is the way home.

Oasis [əʊˈeɪsɪs] n. A place of peace, safety, or happiness in the midst of trouble or difficulty.

You guys rock my socks off.

1 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

and YOU rock my socks off. =)

and 'p.jeff'? let me know when his album is released!

June 8, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home